Thursday, January 22, 2009

Joan Makes Cancer Her Bitch Again...

If you missed the title I will spare you the suspense now - Joan had another good appointment at the Oncologist today!


For those of you that do not remember or have not been to this site before, Joan had not been to her cancer doctor for five months, the longest she had ever been between appointments. Since then many things have changed in our lives and both of us were silently afraid that the added stress would show up in her CT scans. Not so, not this time.






Since Joan's last appointment I was chosen for a promotion to Regional Vice President for Cracker Barrel, an absolutely amazing opportunity. Unfortunately that meant that Joan would have to quit the job she loves at Universal Studios and has loved for over 13 years. It also meant that Joan would have to sell the home that she loves and that she spent so much time creating her three time award winning landscaping. And maybe most frightening of all, she would have to find a new Oncologist. One that she loved as much as Dr. Stephanie Capone.


For those of you that do not know Joan well, you may not know that we were High School Sweethearts which, quite frankly, worked largely to my favor because Joan hates change. I just got lucky and met her in the parking lot of the old Band Room at Nordonia High School in the summer of 1979. We actually went back there together this year just after her brother Jack found her old Pom Line Captian's coat (which she will proudly tell you fits just like it did back then.) Sure, but the vinyl on it is so old that it's cracked like a Pennsylvania highway... But on to better topics.



Added stress is of course bad for cancer patients. Of the top five most stressful things that can happen to an Adult American I was forcing Joan into TWO OF THEM - moving and buying a new home. And I was heaping on tons of stress so that I could be rewarded with a big promotion.


We were able to mull over the impact of the job and all of the other changes doing some really fun things like our annual pilgramage to Cleveland for the Apple Butter Festival in Butler, Ohio. Where we were joined by Joan's sister Kathy and Sister Laura and her husband Bill as well as our Hosts Jack and Chris Donnelly. We started the weekend by Joan and Laura and I running in a half marathon where Joan beat me by over one half a mile and Laura had to hold my hand and tell me when to breathe for seven miles. But I finished long before they cleared the track. They got a picture of me running but the ladies were too fast for the photogs I guess.



As we listened to Dr. Capone read the numbers we quickly realized that the news was good. There had been no growth of Joan's cancer in those five months with the exception of one single node which had grown moderately four MM which is less than this letter I appears on most of your screens. Fantastic news. Joan texted the news to her friends at work to which her friend Richie responded - You are making Cancer your Bitch! Funny stuff Rich... Apparently the Stress had not taken much of a toll on Joan's cancer.

Good thing too because there is still a lot to do... We took a break from our many volunteer duties, like raising cash for our church's Free Clinic by dressing up like guests on Fantasy Island and talking people into writing big checks - all in character. Me - a Rocker. Joan - a Brown's fan going to the Super Bowl to see the Browns win it all. (RIP Ricardo Montalban - even you could not face her to tell her that fantasy was totally out of even Mr. Rourke's abilities.)


Anyway, we had to take a break from the fun stuff to go look for a house. Which we did and we are very close to making an offer on a home (after seeing 24 in two days). We also may have set some kind of record for selling homes. We put our home on the market on January 5th in one of the nation's worst performing markets in the country - Orlando, Florida. There were 784 homes on the market the day we put ours in the mix. only 10% of the homes were not Bank Owned, Short Sales or Forclosures. We were told it would take 120 days to sell. It sold in six. In the last seven years Joan and I have sold two homes and they were on the market for a total of nine days before offers were agreed upon.
While looking for places to live we have also peaked into where Joan would go for her follow up appointments. Our Dr. fairly glowed in her assesments of the Oncologists in the Baltimore area just one hour from where we are looking to move. So we are optomisic about that too. It seems that although we have had to deal with many, many obstacles, God has always provided an answer.


So as we get ready to face all the new stuff involved in new homes, new cities and new friends we are encouraged to know that you all continue to pray for us. We speak of you often and as always Joan loves to read the comments that you leave on this web site (they do go right to her email!). And as much as we have been blessed with this last six months or so, as many miracles as we have been witness to, who can even guess what will happen next -



Is a Browns Super Bowl really too much to ask for? We don't think so...



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan & joan,
Good things happen to good people.I am very happy for you Alan you are certainly perfect for it and I am glad you found a company you can grow with. I sure empathize with Joan leavung her job and house. I have come to realise if you have each other you will be fine. Life throws us many curve balls and God can help you but it sure is nice having a life partner to go thru the ups and downs with. My daughter always said you were the perfect couple!
Best of luck. Keep up the Blog, it's agreat way to stay in touch
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Guys, I love reading these! I laugh and cry at the same time every time. I am so sad you all are moving, but hoping and praying we can catch up before you go for real. We think of you all a lot and talk about our fun trips together oh so long ago. I am SO HAPPY to hear this good news Joan, you go mama! That's AWESOME!
Love you guys!
SO MUCH!
Big hugs,
Jo (and Dave)

momsgsps said...

I am so glad for facebook! I jsut read your blogs and alls i can say is thank you for sharing! You both are an inspiration! My husband gave me a magnet when we got married that says "Happiness is being married to your best friend" You fit the bill!! Good luck in your move and Joan, keep kicking butt!!
Karin (Keller) Cecil

Diann said...

Alan and Joan- I'm so glad to hear that January brought good news- you've been in our thoughts and prayers. Sounds like you're headed up our way- drop me a line and let me know where you land- we would love to see you both!
Diann

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog on Joan's fight with cancer. I recently discovered the news and I am deeply saddened that it could happen to such a wonderful, full-of-life, uplifed and outgoing woman as I remembered in highschool. Congrats on beating the crap out of that beast. It'll only make you stronger.
I'm glad you two found each other again, that bond has some strong glue.
Matt Bosso
Nordonia 81'

DLE said...

Alan & Joan,
So happy to read things are going well. Joan, It's good to hear your health is well and Alan congrats on the promotion! They are lucky to have you, I know how fantastic you are to work for.Best of luck with the move and as always I will keep you both in my prayers.
Diana Elenz

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan and Joan,
Congrats to both of you on selling your house QUICKLY, especially in this market. After seeing the pics of the award-winning landscaping, I can see why your home would be quite the eye-catcher. More importantly, I'm so glad to hear the good news about your cancer, Joan. Keep up the great work and beat this thing! We miss you down here, in fact it may have been warmer up there the last few days than here. Thanks for the update and hope we can keep in touch.
Lar
PS Sure hope you get the Philadelphia football broadcasts, rather than Baltimore! lol

Anonymous said...

Joan
I am sorry I hadn't looked at your info when posted in January. Thank God everything is going so well for you. Welcome to PA!! Really you will like the people here and make new and enjoyable friends. We may have to work on converting you to be a Steeler! Ernie and I pray for you often. Love... Aunt Lois

Linda said...

Hi Alan and Joan,
You are still such a cute couple! I loved the pic of the two of you in front of the band room door. I still have my band jacket as well.

I'm pulling for you Joan. You can beat it!

Wishing you all the good fortune and happiness in the world in your new endeavors!

Linda Kachler Roy
Nordonia 1983